I’ll start this by apologizing for neglecting our turkey blog for so long. The pace of life has really picked up over the last month. For me and Jason it’s been all baby prep or work all the time. I’ve been attending yoga on Monday and Wednesday nights, we started Lamaze class on Thursday nights, we’ve been to Baltimore two weekends in a row, and had Jeff here in New York one weekend to help set up the crib and changing table, and I’ve been working on my empirical paper as well as a sprinkling of NCCF projects. In addition, mix in an infant CPR class, pediatrician selection, a CBS appointment, another maternity clothes shopping trip, and Jason’s slightly under-celebrated birthday and you’ve got a pretty good picture of our last month.
One of the highlights of this past month was definitely my baby shower which Jason’s mom hosted for me at her house in Baltimore. She creatively chose little turkeys as the theme (in honor of this blog of course!) and designed invitations and decorations with little turkeys on them. It was very cute and very well done. Jason and I hitched a ride with Kim and Greg on Friday night and in one short weekend we went from having almost nothing prepared for our baby to owning just about everything we need for his arrival. In fact, I’d argue we have more than we need. Shortly after I arrived at Carol and Tim’s for the shower, the house began filling up with guests. Even though some of my favorite people (the majority of my siblings, Jill, and Pia to list just a few) couldn’t be there, I looked around the room and realized that just about every single person who was there has known me, Jason, or both of us since we were kids. It was heart-warming in the most literal sense of the word to know that this group of people, who have known us for so long, was there to celebrate the little baby swimming around in my belly and cheer us on as we prepare for his arrival. Perhaps it’s the third trimester hormones pumping in full force, but as the days count down toward our due date I am getting increasingly sentimental about the weight of what we’re about to embark on. And with that I feel more connected with and grateful for all of the people in our lives who are genuinely as excited as we are for our little baby to be born. Our proverbial “village” - our tight nit (and at the same time geographically diverse) community of family and friends - our numerous safety nets - together make a pretty strong force who will undoubtedly contribute in shaping who our child will become. I feel a little like I may have discovered the meaning of life – and it’s really valuable, but not really at all complicated.
One of the highlights of this past month was definitely my baby shower which Jason’s mom hosted for me at her house in Baltimore. She creatively chose little turkeys as the theme (in honor of this blog of course!) and designed invitations and decorations with little turkeys on them. It was very cute and very well done. Jason and I hitched a ride with Kim and Greg on Friday night and in one short weekend we went from having almost nothing prepared for our baby to owning just about everything we need for his arrival. In fact, I’d argue we have more than we need. Shortly after I arrived at Carol and Tim’s for the shower, the house began filling up with guests. Even though some of my favorite people (the majority of my siblings, Jill, and Pia to list just a few) couldn’t be there, I looked around the room and realized that just about every single person who was there has known me, Jason, or both of us since we were kids. It was heart-warming in the most literal sense of the word to know that this group of people, who have known us for so long, was there to celebrate the little baby swimming around in my belly and cheer us on as we prepare for his arrival. Perhaps it’s the third trimester hormones pumping in full force, but as the days count down toward our due date I am getting increasingly sentimental about the weight of what we’re about to embark on. And with that I feel more connected with and grateful for all of the people in our lives who are genuinely as excited as we are for our little baby to be born. Our proverbial “village” - our tight nit (and at the same time geographically diverse) community of family and friends - our numerous safety nets - together make a pretty strong force who will undoubtedly contribute in shaping who our child will become. I feel a little like I may have discovered the meaning of life – and it’s really valuable, but not really at all complicated.
The weekend after the shower, Jeff came up to New York with a car packed full of the gifts. Jason’s birthday was largely marked by numerous trips up and down our apartment stairs bringing in boxes of baby clothes, books, blankets, burp cloths, towels, sheets, books, and gear. After everything was in we left the boxes scattered all over the apartment and headed out to a nearby Italian restaurant to celebrate a little more appropriately. We had a very nice dinner and then headed home and had some birthday cake among the boxes parked on every surface in our apartment. The next morning we got up slowly, ate breakfast, and then headed to the Ikea in New Jersey to pick out a crib and changing table. In my opinion Ikea is basically Hell on Earth. Despite their best attempt with Swedish meatballs and the “ball room” I think the store has little to offer in terms of a positive shopping experience. It’s overcrowded, almost impossible to find employees to help you, and increasingly full of particle board instead of wood furniture. But after hours of walking through the show room mazes, tracking down Ikea employees, investigating the ingredients in mattresses, and hauling boxes off the warehouse shelves, we were finally headed home with Jeff’s car once again full.Jason and Jeff got to work with building the crib and dresser while I unpacked the boxes. After hours of work I am sad to say the apartment looked even worse than before. I’m not sure why it’s some universal law of organization that things always have to look worse before they are better – but it’s true. Our apartment looked like we had just moved in, thrown a keg party, and then were hit by a hurricane. However, after a few more hours of work on Sunday our floor and furniture reemerged from under the rubble and Jason and I finished cleaning up and putting things away as Jeff headed home. Once we were finally done, I had a great sense of accomplishment and relief. Since I’ve been into “nesting” since the age of twelve, being pregnant and having that additional urge to organize is almost excruciating. And therefore, the weekend with Jeff here was for me like crack is for a junkie. Both Jeff and Jason generously entertained every ridiculous request of mine (like moving the entire bed to vacuum up the dust under it and taking all of the books off of the shelves to clean). Since Jason willingly married me knowing I’m like this he gets a little credit – but Jeff, the innocent brother-in-law, deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts. The good news is that their pain and suffering was not in vain because I am more than happy with how the apartment is set up now. The crib is in our room next to our bed (where the desk used to be), and the changing table/dresser is out in the living room next to our couch. We moved some things around in the living room and reorganized so that the entire bottom shelf of our bookcase is dedicated to baby books and toys. All the baby clothes are washed and folded and neatly put away in the dresser and we have diapers and wipes poised and ready to go. We’re so ready it’s frightening.
I will try and update this blog more frequently from now on since we’re getting close to the end and things are getting more suspenseful!
5 comments:
rachel said if i left a comment on your blog you would know who i am (i'm her sister). anyway, i just want to say i love wee gallery and the decals are super cute. looks like you are all ready, but there is only so much you can do, so i guess i should say you seem as prepared as you can be. it will still be a whirlwind when your turkey comes, enjoy every stage!
I read your brandnew blog and am moved, you write so beautifully. The text is full of wonderful observations, insights and invaluable descriptions. It really looks like you enjoy writing and have found in it a way of expressing yourself and digesting the world.at the same time. I hope you can keep this up even after the little turkey comes out and makes noise. You and he will enjoy this in the future as much as we (your readers) enjoy it now.
Klaus
wow....seeing the pics of your new apt set up and your belly makes it all so much more real! (for us far away peeps). I am so excited for you two...and can not wait to see all three (!) of you when i come home for xmas :o)
Oh Nina, I am getting all teary-eyed! I absolutely cannot wait to meet this brand new little human. We just bought our plane tickets, and I am so excited to see yall over the holidays! Miss you!
The apartment looks amazing, and I must say I am a bit jealous of Jeff - you know how I love organizing. Although my apartment still looks like a wreck! Between work, Lamaze, yoga and being a student and a wife can you come to Austin and help me unpack?:) I miss you so much and am counting the days until we come and visit and meet this little wonder. PS - Those decals are the sweetest little things.
Post a Comment