2.21.10 ~ Thankful

I was just mindlessly clicking the "next blog" button and browsing some random blogs when I came across a family blog with an interesting header and a cute photo. So I scrolled down to the first entry and started reading only to find that it was a description of how this family of five had just lost their youngest to SIDS only a month earlier. The mother wrote about how she had gone into the four-month-old's room at night to nurse him only to find him unresponsive and not breathing. As I scrolled down further to read earlier postings they were mostly about the craziness of life with a new baby, how wonderful he was, how much they all loved him, and how great the older siblings were with him. My heart was racing as I read and I surprised myself with the level of sadness I felt for this mother.

I am reminded to pause and be very, very grateful and to soak in every drop of joy and meaning that Liam brings to our lives.

1 comment:

ennicholls said...

Hey Nina-
I completely agree with you whole heartedly. When Ethan was only about 3 or 4 months old I had Oprah on in the background just for some noise as I paced with Ethan asleep in my arms. That day Oprah was doing a show about a couple that had a son who was born with some rare disease and how they celebrated each day of his life. The father every day wrote a letter to his son and took hundreds of pictures of him. He eventually passed away and was the exact age of Ethan at that moment when he died. He made a tribute video to his life and posted it on You Tube and it had an alarming number of hits. On the day of his funeral they released a balloon for each day of his life. I just stood there and balled my eyes out the entire time watching this as I held Ethan close. It was the most saddest thing to see, yet at the same time so beautiful how this father did this for his son. It truly makes you grateful for the time we get to spend with our little ones. I will always remember watching and hearing that family's story. The great part of how Oprah ended the show was having the couple on as they announced they were getting ready to have another child. Enjoy your little one and we can not wait to see you all soon. Give Liam a hug and kiss from us. :)