That's the way it was for me too. As soon as I set foot in that city, it was like we had never left. Everything was familiar and comfortable. Except for Jason's apartment which was brand new to me. All this time I had never seen the place he returns home to on Sunday nights. His little studio is a typical New York apartment and felt a little like the first apartment he and I lived in together in the city. Before kids, before we were even married. It, like our 72nd street apartment, is a happy, light, and comfortable place. Not like the shit holes we had lived in in Brooklyn and on 108th. In many ways this trip back was like a reconciliation between me and my city. I had grown to be deeply unhappy by the time we moved to Baltimore last year. Our apartment was dark and overrun with mice, I was overworked with insufficient child care, I was with the kids by myself frequently while Jason had to work around the clock, and things were generally just not going the way I expected. Baltimore represented a fresh start and a big change and has been exactly what we all needed. Now, all those bad feelings have melted away, and this weekend I saw NYC with new eyes again. All the life and the people and the delicious food and the kids on scooters and the elaborate playgrounds and the walking and subways and the taxis and the tall buildings and the different neighborhoods and the park and our friends and and and...
Butts...
...are what you get when you hand your camera over to a five year old:










No comments:
Post a Comment