4.14.13 ~ Nora Walks

Jason and I both missed Nora's first steps. She took them in her classroom on the Thursday before Easter. Her teachers managed to get the moment on video and then hurried down the hallway to my office to come get me. Though, once Nora saw me, she refused to walk again. The next day we left for Baltimore and I thought for sure she would practice her new skill during the week we were there. With big houses and yards to roam, I thought she'd be jogging by the end of the week. But no, I never witnessed her taking more than one step at a time. By the end of the week I almost didn't believe she had walked at school - except that this video appeared in my inbox as proof that her teachers aren't liars: 



This week, when Nora returned to school, she also returned to walking. On Monday and Tuesday - while I wasn't even in the same city - she "walked all over" in her classroom and with Erica, her sitter. On Thursday, it was reported to me that she took EIGHT steps in the classroom. And I had still yet to see more than maybe two consecutive steps from her. That little punk.

But then today she redeemed herself. This morning when I lowered her to the floor near the kitchen table, she took about four steps over to the fridge. She took two, lost her balance, lowered to squatting, then straightened her legs to standing, regained her balance, and took two more. I got pretty excited. And then several different times throughout the day I saw her take two or three steps in a row. 

She's going to be really walking soon. Like as a main mode of transportation. I can't believe it... suddenly she seems to be racing toward toddler hood. Excuse me while I grab a tissue. 

No comments: