12.18.13 ~ Liam and God

Liam has been going to Sunday school with Carol and Tim (who teaches his class) on Sundays. This has lead to lots of interesting musings and questions from Liam. Exhibit A, last week we were driving in the car and he asked me who controls my feet. I told him that I control them, not at all understanding why he was asking. But then he followed up by saying "But doesn't God control everything?" He totally caught me off guard, so I asked him who controls his feet? The classic answer a question with another question to buy more time. He answered that God controls his feet. Suddenly it became clear that I was about to have a conversation about free will with a five year old. And I knew that I very much wanted him to understand he does have free will, and his own intentions, and that he is accountable for his actions. So I told him that. And I told him that there are lots of things in this world he can not control - and that maybe God does control some of those things. But the one thing he really can control are his own feet and the rest of himself. Right when I really felt like I was using this teachable moment to drive the point home, he lost interest and asked if we could buy a new car because his window in the back is too small. Such a mystery how that little brain of his works.

Exhibit B, this past weekend Nora was fussing at me all morning and finally I turned to her and said to stop demanding things because it was my world and she was just living in it. To that Liam said, "No Mommy, it's not your world, it's God's world."

No comments: