This past weekend I left Liam overnight (for two nights actually) for the first time. I flew to Vegas for Pia's bachelorette party while Jason stayed home with Liam. It was awful to have to say bye to him and leave for the airport alone. But, when I went to bed Friday night (in a cozy hotel bed instead of our living room futon) knowing I wouldn't have to wake up until I wanted to, I have to admit that it was kind of nice. It was also nice to have drinks in the afternoon by the pool, get dressed up, go out, and spend time with my friends. The downsides were having to pump and throw breast milk down the drain and wondering the whole weekend what Liam thought had happened to his mama. Apparently, back in New York, Liam did have a bit of a rough time during the first night. After having been put to bed by Jason and getting his midnight feeding from Jason (yes, I'm publically admitting he still wakes up once per night), I think he realized something was up. He woke up at 4am crying uncontrollably. Jason had a hard time consoling him until he started singing Liam's song which seemed to help. Then, after that crying jag, Liam and Jason reportedly had a really nice weekend together. It was comforting to know that Jason was able to console him - but simultaneously disturbing that it only took one song to help Liam recover after the sudden disappearance of his mother. However, when I made my reappearance on Sunday evening, Liam's greeting did not disappoint. He smiled and squealed and basically hurled himself across the room into my arms. He has been very affectionate and cuddly with me ever since then. He's been giving me lots of his slobbery open mouth "kisses" and has been nursing for extra long. I thought maybe this would translate into separation anxiety when I dropped him off at school this morning. But he started playing and I walked out without him shedding one tear, as usual. And when I came back he was happy to see me and eager to be picked up - also as usual. It was Jason who experienced the big change. When he was at the door about to go to work on Monday, Liam spun around in his high chair, looked at his dad, and started crying. He was reaching for Jason and clearly didn’t want him to leave. It seems the weekend provided quality father-son bonding time!
I thought that maybe Liam would learn to crawl while I was away over the weekend, but no such luck. Liam still can't crawl... but maybe that's because he's working on talking instead!
Uh-Oh! from Nina Philipsen Hetzner on Vimeo.
No comments:
Post a Comment