I am allowed to develop very scientific theories and then share them because I have a PhD. This is my theory: Three is the cutest age - physically cutest, that is. Three-year-olds have outgrown the awkwardness of baby- and toddler-hood and are mini children in many ways. They are shedding the baby chub from their arms and legs, they can move, jump, and run with fluidity, and they often mimic adult mannerisms. But, three-year-olds still have the chubby cheeks and big round eyes that babies have. This child-like/baby-like combination, to me, makes them visually irresistible .
I believe that evolution has made three-year-olds this cute because three is also the most irritating, demanding, and testing age. The cuteness is a survival mechanism so that their own mothers don't turn against them. If you have a two-year-old and are congratulating yourself because the "terrible twos" aren't that bad - well, you just wait. And if you have a four-year-old, please call me to tell me that they are wonderful because I need to hear that this little negotiating, defiant, impatient, loud, terror that I'm living with will go back to his dark hole and that my sweet Liam will return in his place. Well, to be fair, sweet Liam is here about 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time I am trying to focus on how cute he is.
.jpg)

1 comment:
noooo! say it ain't so. My kid JUST turned 3...
Post a Comment