9.5.12 ~ 7 Months and the End of Summer

Yesterday Nora turned 7 months old. We did a little photo shoot, but I'll have to post the pictures later. My computer is currently at HP getting a new fan since it was over heating and shutting off. So, I'm using Jason's computer which doesn't have Photoshop. And I can't stomach the idea of posting photos without a little post-production tweaking. I realize how ridiculous that sounds now that I've written it out. Oh well.

This week marks the beginning of the fall semester at Columbia. Today was my first day teaching (I'm teaching a class!) and Liam and Nora's first day with their new babysitter. Tomorrow will be their first day back at school. I have a lot of anxiety about the work I'm doing and the class I'm teaching this semester. I also have a lot of anxiety about handing off my kids 4 days per week when I've been with them 24/7 for the past month. But, I'm also giddy with excitement over the entire enterprise as well. I love getting work done and being productive - even if it is all slightly scary. And I truly believe I am a better parent when I can mix in work time too. (And by "mix in work time" I mean having uninterrupted child-free time to focus on work during the day. I do NOT mean mixing it in during the evening hours from bedtime to midnight like I have been doing for the entire month of August.) This afternoon, I came home, said goodbye to our wonderful sitter, and had a truly lovely evening with Liam and Nora. I was patient and engaged... things that I am often NOT during dinner and bath when I have already spent the whole day with those little rascals.

After even a few hours away I appreciate them more. And there is so much to appreciate with those two. Liam is such a little kid now. He talks and talks and talks. He asks "why?" at least ten gajillion times per day. It can be annoying - but it's also sweet how interested he is in everything. How things work... why things happen... people's motivations for their actions. He is also listening to all the conversations around him. Some times he puts together information he's collected in truly interesting (though highly inaccurate) ways. This is a great source of entertainment. I have a very funny example of this involving his penis that is, unfortunately, not internet appropriate. He's sweet and caring and totally tuned into other's emotions. He worries about people when they are hurt or sad - children and adults. And he often works as a translator for Nora: "Mommy, I think she's hungry and needs some food from your boob".

And Nora. I just can't get enough of that baby. I fall more in love with her every day. She makes such firm eye contact that sometimes it feels like she is trying to communicate through ESP. And when that fails she screeches at the top of her lungs or makes crazy dinosaur sounds. She can really, really scream. The notes she can hit are insane and deafening. But when she isn't screaming, she is busy playing, exploring, observing, rolling, sitting, and reaching for everything. And then putting everything in her mouth, of course. On the floor, she rolls to where she wants to go like a little hot dog. Flop, flop, flop, reach, grab, and in the mouth. And she loves her big brother no matter how much abuse he dishes out. And she really loves her daddy. If Jason walks into the apartment her little arms and legs start flapping and flailing and she makes the funniest little noises until he pays attention to her. And when he comes over to talk to her or kiss her - she just stares and grins and drools. It's cute. I only wish she were so happy to see him in the middle of the night when I can't peel myself out of bed (yet again) and so I send him to her instead - ha!

I like to cheat on my blog with Instagram. To make it up to the blog, I'll repeat some of the pictures here (thank goodness for filters to get around Photoshopping!).

 Super Soccer Stars in Central Park. Liam is the one sitting on his ball. 

 Nora enjoying her Sophie while watching Liam play soccer. (Sadly, we lost our beloved Sophie on the streets of New York when Nora tossed her overboard out of the stroller and I didn't notice. We even back-tracked 6 blocks to try and find her. I'm glad we have this picture to remember her dedicated service to Nora's oral fixation). 

 Sibs.

 Climbing to new heights on the playground. 

Safety first. 

The child LOVES fairs. And riding horses. 

I bet she was making dinosaur sounds when this picture was taken. 

Bedtime. 

Identical. 

 Mani/Pedi.

Couch time. 

 I love how she looks when she sleeps. 

Liam and Isaac. 

Always sneaking in stroller naps.  

May, Ada, and Liam waiting for the swings.  

Post-bath artwork. 

No comments: