7.14.13 ~ We're Moving!

I have lived in New York City almost eight years. I tell people I grew up in Baltimore - but, really, I only lived there from the end of 4th grade until I graduated from high school. Also just about eight years. It's amazing that those two time periods are almost equal. I bring this up because on Friday this week we are moving out of New York City and back to Baltimore. Well, Elliott City - near Baltimore. I was awarded a one year (possibly two year) fellowship in DC and it was just too good to pass up. But since it's a temporary position, Jason will be keeping his job - and a studio apartment - here in NYC. He'll be commuting down to see us on the weekends and I'll be commuting to DC on the weekdays. This new chapter of our lives will surely be interesting. 


I haven't had much time to reflect on leaving New York and I'm not totally sure I want to. This city and I have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship. At first it was pure love. I moved here and was SO excited to be away from West Lafayette, Indiana. But I moved in by myself into a tiny,dark dorm room in the student housing building. And the first year of grad school was HARD. It was a lot of course work and a steep learning curve at the fellowship I had then. I was visiting Jason in Baltimore a lot and clearly remember the anxiety rising every time I passed through the Lincoln tunnel returning from a visit. Like, real anxiety. And that was the first time in my whole life I had ever really felt that. The nervous stomach, butterflies, can't eat, and can't sleep feeling. Thanks, NYC. But over the years I have fallen in love with this place. First as a childless, poor grad student and then as a new mom. And the city had lots to offer to both versions of me. But having children here comes with lots of ups and lots of downs. Apartment living on a budget is, well, rough. Lots of steps, no dishwasher, no space, no laundry. And then there are the mice and roaches. But when you step outside there is a world of possibility. It's so easy to entertain your children here. And you're never isolated. Not only do I have lots of friends with kids who are friends with my kids, but it's also so easy to strike up a conversation with someone new a the playground. And to make up for the tiny, crowded grocery stores and no laundry there's always FreshDirect and wash-n-fold services. Nothing to complain about there - except that it all costs an arm and a leg. Also, I love being able to walk everywhere. Pushing a double stroller a mile to school and back means I have a built in work out. But sometimes the trash, the dog poop all over the sidewalk, and the concrete and tall buildings can get claustrophobic. And the people on the subway can be so RUDE. If you show up with a stroller people act like you just ruined their week. It's a stroller, people. Just step around it and move on with your life. The eye daggers are a waste of your time. And if you dare to say anything to me, I will bite your head off. I'm not scared. I have kids and we have to get from point A to point B. And the stroller has to come too. Sorry. If I didn't have them strapped into these seats and they were free to roam the subway car, you would be much more annoyed. I promise. 

So, yeah., love/hate. I'm eager to improve the mouse/roach/ant situation. But there are many things about New York that I'm also really going to miss - not the least of which are my amazing friends here. It's going to be an interesting year. But as usual - bring it on. I'm ready. 



No comments: